Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.What is a muncipal liquor store?
- At the repeal of prohibition, each city in Minnesota was allowed to decide how they wanted alcohol to be sold within the city. The City of Lakeville determined that they wanted to control the sale and consumption of alcohol by operating municipal liquor stores.
- 2.How many cities have muncipal liquor stores?
- As of 2014, there were about 200 cities operating municipal liquor stores out of 248 facilities statewide. That is about 25 percent of all Minnesota cities that own and operate municipal liquor stores. Cities in the south metro that operate municipal liquor stores include the Lakeville, Apple Valley, Farmington, Lonsdale, Savage, and Northfield.
- 3.How are the proceeds of Lakeville Liquors used?
The revenue of the liquor stores has been used for a variety of projects and buildings, including Lakeville City Hall, fire stations, a portion of Ames Ice Arena, the land for the Dakota County Public Library, and large pieces of equipment such as road graders and fire trucks.
- 4.How long has the City been in the municipal liquor business?
The city voted to enter the liquor business shortly after the repeal of prohibition in 1935. That makes it the oldest operating business in the City of Lakeville.
- 5.Why do you check everyone's ID?
- The penalties for selling to someone underage are very severe, including the possibility of a gross misdemeanor, jail time, and up to a $3,000 penalty. This policy is non-discriminatory and ensures that our staff are protected and no one underage is sold to.
- 6.How can our group or organization seek a donation from you?
- We understand that there are so many valid and well deserving individuals and organizations within our community. Unfortunately, Minnesota State Statue does not allow the City to provide donations unless the revenue is going directly back to a city property, program, or event.
- 7.Do you offer quantity discounts?
Yes, we have several types of discounts including case discounts and club membership discounts. We also offer a senior citizen discount, which is 10 percent off any liquor or wine not already on sale, Monday through Thursday, for anyone 65 and over. If you are planning a large gathering such as a wedding, schedule a meeting to create a personalized beverage menu for your upcoming special event. Send an email to Marketing & Events Specialist, Leah Pihlaja, to set up an in-person or over the phone meeting with a store manager. Allow 48 hours for response.
- 8.What is your product return policy?
- Customer satisfaction is our number one goal. We will return any unopened product within 30 days if you have your receipt and the product remains in good saleable condition. If it is an unopened product in good condition but you lost your receipt, we will still allow you to trade it for other merchandise or a gift card of equal value. Furthermore, we understand that products can be flawed. If this is the case, please save at least half of the product within the bottles and your product may be exchanged for merchandise or a gift card of the same value. Certain applicable guidelines are required for returns. Please see our management staff for full details.
- 9.Do you carry gluten free products?
Yes, we have a wide range of beer, spirits, and wine that are gluten free. Please visit the stores and ask for assistance in locating these items.
- 10.Do you carry organic products?
- Absolutely! Organic products are marked with signs throughout the store, but please ask our staff if you are unable to locate them. Lakeville Liquors carries a wide variety of organic, bio-dynamic, and sustainable products.
- 11.If you don't carry something I want, can you get it for me?
- Of course! Lakeville Liquors carries a wide selection of beer, wine, and spirits, but we know there is so much more out there. If there is a product you can't find in our store and would like us to carry it or order it for you, please let us know.